This has to be one of my favourite views in Plymouth. On the basis that I know it so well through the seasons and it is my reward for 45 minutes of what can really only be described as 'shenanigans'.
Being keen to get outdoors whenever I can, this is a view that I enjoy most weeks, the culmination of something which can only really be described as 80s style aerobics in a straight line, some walking, leg raises, arm stretches, and whatever else comes to mind along with the beat of the tracks that help to get me out of the house.
I often find myself outside the front door, with a mild bemusement as to how I got there from the first thought of 'I need to get out' or 'it looks nice out there' to standing there in my scruffy exercise kit, definitely not ready for running, but keen to make the most of some minutes outdoors, enjoying my local park and trying not to upset the many dogs whose owners are often surprised at my antics. That is, those who haven't seen me before! The regulars have various names for me I'm sure, but the comments I hear are 'dancing queen' (I like that one!), 'mad woman' (no surprise) and 'you look like you're having fun' (which I am - why would I do it otherwise?!).
So what's the point of this short blog? None really, other than to share the thought that if I can do it, anyone can. I find three things help me to make it outside the door, and once there, it's really easy.
1. Pick your starting track (mine happens to be a Tom Jones track - the first on my playlist for exercising). I only have to hear a few notes and my body starts to propel me towards my running shoes and the front door (or to remind me it's time to exercise).
2. Remember how good it feels once the endorphins kick in. You don't need to work hard, to feel great once you're exercising outdoors, and I love the working up towards it.
3. Buy yourself a good pair of trainers. Once I started to invest in good trainers, even though I don't run much, I found that the motivation to get out and use them worked wonders for me. I may wear pretty scruffy kit, but I always have good shoes on my feet.
Then all I do is to relax and let my body do its thing. Before I know it, I'm grooving away

No comments:
Post a Comment